HISTORY OF EASTLAKE

Home > About > History
   
 
Over 300 years ago, the Erie Indians had a village near what is now Lakeshore Blvd. and Reeves Road. In 1701, the Iroquois Confederation ceded their "Beaver Country" (the Western Reserve, east of the Cuyahoga River) to the British in return for their protection. A French trading post, "Charlton", was established at the mouth of the Chagrin River in 1750. Charles Parker, soon after, built a cabin and huts for the Connecticut Land Co. in this area and David Abbott built the first mill (Chagrin Mill). The first recorded birth and baptism of the settlement was Abbott's daughter,. In 1830-40, settlers came from "York" State. They purchased land from the Connecticut Land Co. for $7 to $10 per acre.

Friendly Indians still lived nearby. The Eastlake area in 1849 became known as the "Village of St. John". In 1897, the C.P. & E. Shoreline Interurban Street car Line was completed, bringing protective land buyers into the Eastlake area. This area began to grow and prosper. Agriculture was the main source of income but retail and industrial development soon followed. On Sept. 9, 1948, Eastlake was certified as a Village.

  JFK Senior Center Clowns
  JFK Senior Center clowns join the Eastlake parade

The first election of Village officials was held on Jan. 11, 1949, with Wilson Crosier elected Mayor, and a Council form of government.

Population was 4,700 In 1950, Eastlake's volunteer Fire Department was organized with borrowed hoses, axes and nozzles. A truck was rented for $1 a day. 

On Oct. 6, 1951, Eastlake is declared a City by the U. S. Census, with a population of 7,486 By 1970, Eastlake's population had reached 20,000.

During 1973, Dyke Foresite, along Galalina Dr. just east of the mouth of the Chagrin River, was built. It stands today, protecting 90 families and their property.

A senior citizens program was also started at the JFK Senior Center. This former Nike Missile Site was purchased by the City of Eastlake in 1964 for use as a public park and recreation center. Today this center is open 5 days a week, serving over 758 older adults, and is home for the West End Nutrition Site which provides 70 to 100 hot meals daily.

Courtesy of drelocation.com 

 
Web site design in Lake County, Ohio